Friday, March 11, 2011

Hump Days

When I used to work summer camp, we would call Wednesdays "Hump Days" because it was the point in the week where we were halfway through a fun week, as well as half way to being done. That being said, it was one of those days that had the perfect amount of "hurrahs!" to "hums".

Personally, I've been having a lot of hump days lately. Days where I thought nothing was right with the world, that I, as a person, had yet to achieve the goals that I wanted in life, and that I was lacking meaning in my life. Yes, my dear readers, meaning. For lack of a better term, I was having an existential crisis.

A large part of this crisis was around the topic of being single, which is definately not a comfortable stance for me. I find that I am at the point in my life where many of my friends are getting engaged, married, or inleast shacking up with their significant others. I'm in one wedding this summer as a Maid of Honor to one of my best friends and helping two others with their own weddings, one in October of this year and one in October of next. Like it or not, I've got wrapped up into wedding mode.

Now don't get me wrong, I've very happy that my friends are getting married. I have hug them in celebration, I have cried from happiness, I have sent engagement cards. I tried to celebrate with them in their happiness.

And it worked. Until I found out that my ex-boyfriend was engaged and I was still alone.

Now, I know that being single is not the same as being alone, but I felt that way. I sometimes still feel that way. I feel that I am wondering aimlessly in this world of paired off couples and I am doing it alone.

That being said, I don't think that there is one easy answer to this question. Rather, I think it's a journey, a journey that I've been on for a while and I think I will be for a while.

Mind you, an exit ramp in the shape of a guy who wants to date me, than propose to me, than marry me, would be absolutely lovely. A girl can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment